[R] popular R packages

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Sun Mar 8 02:22:26 CET 2009

      I just did RSiteSearch("library(xxx)") with xxx = the names of 6
packages familiar to me, with the following numbers of hits:

hits package

 169 lme4
 165 nlme
   6 fda
   4 maps
   2 FinTS
   2 DierckxSpline

      Software could be written to (1) extract the names of current
packages from CRAN then (2) perform queries similar to this on all such
packages and summarize the results.  I don't have the time now to write
code for this, but I've written similar code before for step (1);  it
can be found in "scripts/TsayFiles.R" in the "FinTS" package on CRAN.
For step (2), Sundar Dorai-Raj wrote code that is is included in the
preliminary "RSiteSearch" package available from R-Forge via
install.'packages("RSiteSearch",repos="http://r-forge.r-project.org")'.

      Code to do this could probably be written (a) in a matter of
seconds by many of those in the R Core team or (b) in a matter of hours
by virtually any reader of this list using the examples I just cited.
And it could provide numbers without a need to convince others to keep
download statistics and make them available later.

      Hope this helps.
      Spencer Graves