[R] compile under Ubuntu 8.10 (Ibex)

Terry Therneau therneau at mayo.edu
Wed Mar 11 17:11:42 CET 2009

 I fired up a new machine last night and loaded Ubuntu 8.10 on it.  I then had
to add in the usual compiler stuff which is not loaded by default: make, emacs,
fortran, c++, etc.

 I'm having trouble compiling R 2.8 however.  I get a message that it cannot
figure out how to link f77 and C.  I've pulled in "gfortran".  A google search
on "fortran ubuntu 8.10" shows various problems with the gcc switch from
fortran77 to fortran95 --- also true for R?

 Any hints are welcome, including "don't use 8.10" (thought that will be an
evening of work).

 	Terry Therneau