[R] OT: Likelihood ratio for the randomization/permutation test?

Charles C. Berry cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu
Wed Mar 11 18:38:07 CET 2009

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009, Mike Lawrence wrote:

> Hi guRus,
>
> My discipline (experimental psychology) is gradually moving away from
> Null Hypothesis Testing and towards measures of evidence. One measure
> of evidence that has been popular of late is the likelihood ratio.
> Glover & Dixon (2005) demonstrate the calculation of the likelihood
> ratio from ANOVA tables, but I'm also interested in non-parametric
> statistics and wonder if anyone has any ideas on how to compute a
> likelihood ratio from a randomization test (aka. permutation test)?

You cannot get the likelihood ratio from just the null, you need an
alternative. The alternative would have to provide different probabilities
to the individual permutations than under the null I guess, so if you have
a framework where this makes sense you are in business.

I suspect you might be aiming in the direction of "empirical likelihood"
for which there is a literature - Google 'empirical likelihood'.

Also to turn this back to R, check out 'emplik' on CRAN.

HTH,

Chuck