[R] CI from svyquantile in survey package

Ron Burns rrburns at cox.net
Wed Mar 11 19:34:55 CET 2009

   I am having trouble understanding (i.e. getting) confidence intervals from
   the survey package. I am using R version 2.8.1 (2008-12-22) and survey
   package (3.11-2) on FC7 linux. To simplify my question I use an example from
   that package:
   R> data(api)
   R> dclus1<-svydesign(id=~dnum, weights=~pw, data=apiclus1, fpc=~fpc)
   R>    (tst    <-    svyby(~api99,    ~stype,    dclus1,   svyquantile,
   quantiles=0.5,ci=TRUE))
     stype api99    se
   E     E   615 37.89
   H     H   593 69.52
   M     M   611 37.67
   R> str(tst)
   Classes ‘svyby’ and 'data.frame':    3 obs. of  3 variables:
    $ stype: Factor w/ 3 levels "E","H","M": 1 2 3
    $ api99: num  615 593 611
    $ se   : num  37.9 69.5 37.7
    - attr(*, "svyby")=List of 7
     ..$ margins  : int 1
     ..$ nstats   : num 1
     ..$ vars     : int 1
     ..$ deffs    : logi FALSE
     ..$ statistic: chr "svyquantile"
     ..$ variables: chr "api99"
     ..$ vartype  : chr "se"
    -  attr(*,  "call")=  language  svyby.default(~api99, ~stype, dclus1,
   svyquantile, quantiles = 0.5,      ci = TRUE)

   I do not see the CI in this structure.  Specifically, this problem came up
   when  I  was  working  through an example where after a similar set up
   information was extracted using
   R> tst$statistics.quantiles
   NULL
   R> tst$statistics.CIs
   NULL
   where of course the NULLs I get are due, in my case,  to the absences of the
   $statistics.XXXs.   The example did not display the structure so I could not
   compare my output with their output. (The example warns that these objects
   need to be unlisted which is not relevant here)
   Thanks in advance for any help
   Ron
--
R. R. Burns