[R] How to display an image on RGL plot?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Thu Nov 26 13:12:23 CET 2009

On 26/11/2009 2:14 AM, Vladimir Eremeev wrote:
> Hi all.
> It's been a long time since I wrote to this list. Glad to see the R project
> well and working.
>
> I am working  with a 3D plot similar to this:
> http://old.nabble.com/file/p26525177/rgl-device.png rgl-device.png
>
> The underlying picture is a JPEG image, loaded with the rimage package and
> coerced to the matrix.
> Spheres denote control points, collected from this picture and must be
> situated over the certain points of the image.
> I display the image with rgl.points.
> In case of the standard video camera image (704x576) it has to display over
> 400000 points which is rather slow and memory consuming.
> How can I put an original JPEG on this plot?
>
> Another problem is that the picture is color initially, but was converted to
> the grayscale. I'd like to preserve colors.

I can't see that image; the link doesn't work.  But the best way to
display an image in rgl is to use texture mapping.  There are examples
in ?persp3d (where the texture is a world map, displayed on a globe) and
demo(flag).  See ?rgl.surface for a description of how texture
coordinates are specified.

Duncan Murdoch