[R] Time Dependent Cox Model

joris meys jorismeys at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 01:38:57 CEST 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 9:19 PM, quaildoc <just.struttin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Some suggested that go into more detail on what I wanted to accomplish and
> the rest of my code.  I want to accomplish exactly what Fox did in this
> article( http://www.nabble.com/file/p25897307/appendix-cox-regression.pdf
> appendix-cox-regression.pdf ) (starting with page 7), except using "habitat"
> instead of employment. I want habitat to be a time dep. covariate and it
> varys by day.
>
> I read in my data as the csv. file, and one major difference in the data set
> Fox used and min is I have a DaysatRisk column instead of the "week" the
> person went back to jail. This I think is the root of my problem calculating
> the proper death.time.  The death.time column should be 1s and 0s that
> corresponds to the day the animal died.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>

> surv<-read.csv("Survival_master2.csv", header = TRUE)
>
> sum(!is.na(surv[,16:726]))

I added a bit in your code :
stoptest <-c() # seeing what comes out of the test
onetest <-c() # seeing what comes out of the test

> surv2<-matrix(0,12329,19)
> colnames(surv2)<-c('start', 'stop', 'death.time',
> names(surv)[1:15],'habitat')
> row<-0 # set record counter to 0
>    for (i in 1:nrow(surv)) { # loop over individuals
>        for (j in 16:726) { # loop over 52 weeks
>          if (is.na(surv[i, j])) next # skip missing data
>          else {
>            row <- row + 1 # increment row counter
>            start <- j - 11 # start time (previous week)

This is the first thing  I don't understand. start can be summarized
by a vector 5:715. How this indicates start time, is unclear to me.
Same goes for stop time (that's a vector 6:716).

>            stop <- start + 1 # stop time (current week)
>            death.time <- if (stop == surv[i, 4] && surv[i, 5] ==1) 1 else 0

 I modified your code here too :
		stoptest <- c(stoptest,stop==surv[i,4])
		onetest <- c(onetest,surv[i,5]==1)

>                   # construct record:
>            surv2[row,] <- c(start, stop, death.time, unlist(surv[i, c(1:15,
> j)]))
>            }
>        }
>   }

I ran until here. Now this came out :

> sum(stoptest)
[1] 0
> sum(onetest)
[1] 0

How comes? Both are factors without a numeric value, so the tests you
do make no sense. You check if a factor is equal to a certain number,
and that's neither for the first condition, nor for the second
condition ever the case. That's why you get all zeros.

What you need to do, if figure out what exactly is in the variables
"week" and "arrest" of the dataset Rossi, and adapt your data frame
accordingly.

Cheers
Joris