[R] What happen for Negative binomial link in Lmer fonction?

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Thu Oct 22 21:17:55 CEST 2009

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 1:39 PM, Ben Bolker <bolker at ufl.edu> wrote:

> ROBARDET Emmanuelle wrote:
>>
>> Dear R users,
>> I'm performing some GLMMs analysis with a negative binomial link.
>> I already performed such analysis some months ago with the lmer() function
>> but when I tried it today I encountered this problem:
>> Erreur dans famType(glmFit$family) : unknown GLM family: 'Negative
>> Binomial'
>>
>> Does anyone know if the negative binomial family has been removed from
>> this function?
>> I really appreciate any response.
>> Emmanuelle
>>

> I would be extremely surprised if this worked in the past; to
> the best of my knowledge the negative binomial family has
> never been implemented in lmer.

I too would be extremely surprised if it had worked in the past,
considering that I have never implemented it.

I did exchange email with Bill Venables about it and we formulated
what seems to be a reasonable approach but it hasn't made it to the
top of the "To Do" list yet.  Right now the big push is on code to
profile the log-likelihood with respect to the parameters so we can
actually get confidence intervals and, the holy grail of
mixed-modeling, p-values.