[R] Diffusion of particles inside a sphere

cls59 chuck at sharpsteen.net
Thu Oct 22 21:18:14 CEST 2009

carferper wrote:

> Hello veryone,
>
> I am interested in the diffusion of particles inside a sphere, and its
> release through a small pore on the sphere surface. Unfortunately, I have
> not found the way to do this in R. Could you help me?
>
> Thank very much in advance for your help

I have used R for very similar types of simulations involving the movement
of groundwater through porous media-- so R definitely has all the tools to
set up and solve these types of models. It also makes it easy to obtain nice
plots of the solution.

However, if you are asking "Is there a ready-made model for situation X?"
the answer is most likely "No, you will have to build it yourself". At the
minimum you will need to:

  * Define the governing equation that describes the situation you are
modeling.
  * Define any initial or boundary conditions that apply to the situation.
  * Choose an appropriate numerical or analytical solution method to solve
the governing equation subject to the initial and boundary conditions.

At that point, you may have questions such as "Are there any packages that
implement numerical/analytical method Y?" or "I am trying to implement
numerical/analytical scheme Y in R, but it isn't working because the
calculation of Z appears to be wrong. Can you help?". These sorts of
questions are specific enough that the members of this list could probably
offer advice on how to implement the nuts and bolts of the operations.

Good luck!

-Charlie

-----
Charlie Sharpsteen