[R] Equivalence of Mann-Whitney test and Kruskal-Wallis test with k=2

David Scott d.scott at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Sep 8 07:01:44 CEST 2009

Thomas Farrar wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The Kruskal-Wallis test is a generalization of the two-sample Mann-Whitney
> test to *k* samples.  That being the case, the Kruskal-Wallis test with *k*=2
> should give an identical p-value to the Mann-Whitney test, should it not?
>
> x1<-c(1:5)
> x2<-c(6,8,9,11)
> a<-wilcox.test(x1,x2,paired=FALSE)
> b<-kruskal.test(list(x1,x2),paired=FALSE)
> a$p.value
> [1] 0.01587302
> b$p.value
> [1] 0.01430588
>
> The p-values are slightly different (note that there are no ties in the
> data, so computed p-values should be exact).
>
> Can anyone explain the discrepancy?  It's been awhile since I studied
> nonparametric stats and this one has me scratching my head.
>
> Many thanks!
> Tom

The continuity correction? It is true by default for wilcox.test and is
not apparent in the help for kruskal.test.

David Scott

David Scott	Department of Statistics
		The University of Auckland, PB 92019
		Auckland 1142,    NEW ZEALAND
Phone: +64 9 923 5055, or +64 9 373 7599 ext 85055
Email:	d.scott at auckland.ac.nz,  Fax: +64 9 373 7018

Director of Consulting, Department of Statistics