[R] Equivalence of Mann-Whitney test and Kruskal-Wallis test with k=2

Meyners, Michael, LAUSANNE, AppliedMathematics Michael.Meyners at rdls.nestle.com
Tue Sep 8 08:20:13 CEST 2009

See the respective help files. The continuity correction only affects
the normal approximation in wilcox.test. With this small samples sizes,
the default evaluation is exact, so it doesn't change anything. In
contrast, kruskal.test is incapable to compute exact values but always
uses the chi-square approximation. So the discrepancy is between exact
test and approximation (guess you'd be better off with the former).

If you get the urge to reproduce the p value from kruskal.test using
wilcox.test, and maybe to better understand what's happening, try

a <- wilcox.test(x1, x2, paired=FALSE, exact=FALSE, correct=FALSE)

(and yes, now with exact=FALSE, the continuity correction makes a
difference).

HTH, Michael