[R] Location of Packages?

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Mon Sep 14 20:29:09 CEST 2009

On Sep 14, 2009, at 2:00 PM, ivo welch wrote:

> thanks, everyone.  I was a bit confused.
>
> I now think that the "car" error was because the package on the cran
> website
> itself was built under 2.9.2, not because I had an old version lying
> around,
> which my package continued to use instead of a newer version that I
> would
> just have installed.
>
> I was also ambiguous about asking about version.  Sorry.  I did not
> mean
> version number of R, but the bit version.  the answer is that the two
> methods are sessionInfo() and bit64= ifelse( == 8, T,
> F) .  It would be nice if the standard R startup message would state
> whether
> the version is 64bit or 32bit, but this is just a suggestion.

You could always write a small bit of code to test .Machine
$sizeof.pointer and put it in the .First function.

My method is to label my GUI's so I pick the right one.

> now, all I need is a more recent packaged R version than 2.9.0.  can
> I ask
> who maintains http://r.research.att.com/ , so I send a short email
> to this
> person?

A very similar question was very recently (this morning, in fact)
posed on the r-Mac-sig-list and the answer by Simon Urbanek is that
there is no packaged version of R 2.9.2.

per Urbanek:
"The reason I said take 2.9.0 was because it's the fool proof method.
[I don't have an installer for 64-bit R 2.9.2 yet because it's not
automated due to changes in the PM]."

You have already been given advice about the order of installation of
the packaged version and detailed instruction on how to update to
2.9.2 (was all that typing and testing in vain?),  as well as advice
to post such questions as this one on the correct list. Maybe you
should (re-?)read the Posting Guide.

--

David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories