[R] installation problem

Michael Bibo michael_bibo at health.qld.gov.au
Wed Sep 16 14:06:33 CEST 2009

cls59 <chuck <at> sharpsteen.net> writes:

> wesley mathew wrote:
> >
> > Hello All
> >
> > I have some problem for installing  XML_2.6-0.tar . I am working in widows
> > and R version is  R-2.9.1
> >

> Unfortunately, I think there are some problems with CRAN being able to build
> the XML package for Windows, at least the page:
>
> http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/XML/index.html
>
> Lists it as unavailable. However, I know I have installed it on a Windows
> machine at the university using install.packages()-- R may be set up to pull
> from some additional repository there. I'll check the next time I'm in the
> lab.
>
> -Charlie

As Charlie notes, the CRAN page lists the Windows version as unavailable, but
links to a README file which details:

<<The packages
  BRugs, ncdf, RCurl, RDieHarder, RNetCDF, udunits, and XML
do not build out of the box or are special in other circumstances.
Nevertheless these are available at
  http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/RWin/bin/windows/contrib/2.9/
kindly provided by Professor Brian D. Ripley.>>

Thus you can download the Windows zip file from there, and install it using the
"install package(s) from local zip files..." menu option.

Michael Bibo
Queensland Health