[R] R CMD INSTALL --build: Folders /inst and /etc not in zip-file and WindowsXP locks /library/[package]/etc/

Tobias Schoch tobias.schoch at fhnw.ch
Fri Sep 25 13:36:27 CEST 2009

Dear R users,

My set-up: OS=Windows XP, R-2.9.2, Rtools210
I faced the follwing problem with the package compilation: There is no
"/inst" or "/etc" subdirectory in the package-zip-file. And the content of
the "/etc" subdirectory is lost, too. I tried a simplified "test" package.
The "test" package has the following structure (see also attachement: "test"
package as source file):

/test
   |---/inst
   |     |---/etc
   |           |---menus.txt

   |---/man
   |     |---mymean.Rd
   |     |---test-package.Rd

   |---/R
   |     |---mymean.R

   |---NAMESPACE
   |---DESCRIPTION

The file "menus.txt" (inspired by the Rcmdr menu structure) contains one
single comment line. The file "mymean.R" contains a simple function that
computes the mean.

Situation A) [R CMD BUILD test] works fine and the tar-ball contains the
subdirectory "/inst/etc/" and the file "menus.txt".

Situation B) [R CMD INSTALL --build test] generates the "test_1.0.zip" file
without any error message. But: 1) This zip-file does neither contain the
"/etc" folder nor the "menus.txt" file. 2) The installation created the
folder "/test" in the library path /R-2.9.2/library/test/ , but this folder
is locked by WindowsXP. That is, the access is denied and can only be
resolved by re-defining the owner and the permission rights. 3) Having
removed the package from the library, and trying to install the zip-package
using "install from local zip files..." does the installation. But, the
"/etc" folder is empty; the file "menus.txt" is missing.

Is there a known problem/bug in the "R CMD INSTALL --build" process dealing
with the subdirectories "/inst" and "/etc" and the contents of the these
folders? How to resolve the problem?

Thanks
Tobias

http://www.nabble.com/file/p25609569/source_test.zip source_test.zip