[R] R CMD INSTALL --build: Folders /inst and /etc not in zip-file and WindowsXP locks /library/[package]/etc/

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Sun Sep 27 20:15:41 CEST 2009

Tobias Schoch wrote:
> Dear R users,
>
> My set-up: OS=Windows XP, R-2.9.2, Rtools210
> I faced the follwing problem with the package compilation: There is no
> "/inst" or "/etc" subdirectory in the package-zip-file. And the content of
> the "/etc" subdirectory is lost, too. I tried a simplified "test" package.
> The "test" package has the following structure (see also attachement: "test"
> package as source file):
>
> /test
>    |---/inst
>    |     |---/etc
>    |           |---menus.txt
>    |---/man
>    |     |---mymean.Rd
>    |     |---test-package.Rd
>    |---/R
>    |     |---mymean.R
>    |---NAMESPACE
>    |---DESCRIPTION
>
> The file "menus.txt" (inspired by the Rcmdr menu structure) contains one
> single comment line. The file "mymean.R" contains a simple function that
> computes the mean.
>
> Situation A) [R CMD BUILD test] works fine and the tar-ball contains the
> subdirectory "/inst/etc/" and the file "menus.txt".
>
> Situation B) [R CMD INSTALL --build test] generates the "test_1.0.zip" file
> without any error message. But: 1) This zip-file does neither contain the
> "/etc" folder nor the "menus.txt" file. 2) The installation created the
> folder "/test" in the library path /R-2.9.2/library/test/ , but this folder
> is locked by WindowsXP. That is, the access is denied and can only be
> resolved by re-defining the owner and the permission rights. 3) Having
> removed the package from the library, and trying to install the zip-package
> using "install from local zip files..." does the installation. But, the
> "/etc" folder is empty; the file "menus.txt" is missing.

Probably the installation process in your Situation B) is never finished
and hangs up due to misconfiguration of your tools or due to wrong
permissions somewhere. I do not have any problem and explicitly tested
with ./inst/etc/menus.txt (only difference is that I do not have exactly
Rtools10 installed, but something that is extremely close).

Try to make a clean setup of all your tools and double check your PATH
variable.

Best,
Uwe Ligges