[R] SAS and R on multiple operating systems

Roger DeAngelis(xlr82sas) rdeangel at amgen.com
Tue Apr 6 00:35:11 CEST 2010

Hi,

  I am using SSH, however I do have to set up a SAS Spawner on the remote
host and use SAS remote library services. I also have to have listeners on
both client and host?

  I am not a systems guy, so I do not know exactly how SAS makes the remote
libraries available to windows.

  It is a little trickier to get UNIX to recognize my windows 'c' drive.

  It is quite powerful to take the idiosyncracies of operating systems out
of the picture, I think perl is little closer to doing this than R. The stat
function in perl appears to be able to operate on windows and unix
filesystems, however separately. Many SAS objects like datasets are exactly
the same between windows(32/64) and corresponding unix systems. No big
endian little endian stuff to worry about.

Here is my program

%put &sysscp;    /* Show OS */
%let pth=%sysfunc(pathname(unx)); /* SHOW UNIX PATH */
%put pth=&pth;
data "c:\temp\class.sas7bdat";   /* WINDOWS */
  set unx.class;
run;

Here is the log showing I am running under windows but input is unix

28     %put &sysscp;
SYMBOLGEN:  Macro variable SYSSCP resolves to WIN
WIN
29     %let pth=%sysfunc(pathname(unx));
30     %put pth=&pth;
SYMBOLGEN:  Macro variable PTH resolves to
/workspace/SAS_work904200004DF5_zeus_unix
pth=/workspace/SAS_work904200004DF5_global_unix_server
31     data "c:\temp\class.sas7bdat";
32       set unx.class;
33     run;

NOTE: There were 19 observations read from the data set UNX.CLASS.
NOTE: The data set c:\temp\class.sas7bdat has 19 observations and 5
variables.
NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time):
      real time           0.04 seconds
      cpu time            0.01 seconds

I can even concatenate windows and unix SAS datasets.