[R] SAS and R on multiple operating systems

Daniel Nordlund djnordlund at verizon.net
Tue Apr 6 01:53:31 CEST 2010

Well, this is not exactly correct. SAS datasets on Windows 32-bit and 64-bit systems do use a different file format, and the format is different from Unix/Linux systems.  SAS will automagically use the cross-environment data access (CEDA) engine, where possible, for reading SAS datasets created in different environments.  So what you describe below can be done, but only because SAS handles the file conversion relatively transparently.  And while the CEDA engine allows one to read datasets from other environments, there can be a performance hit when doing so.

> Here is my program
>
> %put &sysscp;    /* Show OS */
> %let pth=%sysfunc(pathname(unx)); /* SHOW UNIX PATH */
> %put pth=&pth;
> data "c:\temp\class.sas7bdat";   /* WINDOWS */
>   set unx.class;
> run;
>
> Here is the log showing I am running under windows but input is unix
>
> 28     %put &sysscp;
> SYMBOLGEN:  Macro variable SYSSCP resolves to WIN
> WIN
> 29     %let pth=%sysfunc(pathname(unx));
> 30     %put pth=&pth;
> SYMBOLGEN:  Macro variable PTH resolves to
> /workspace/SAS_work904200004DF5_zeus_unix
> pth=/workspace/SAS_work904200004DF5_global_unix_server
> 31     data "c:\temp\class.sas7bdat";
> 32       set unx.class;
> 33     run;
>
> NOTE: There were 19 observations read from the data set UNX.CLASS.
> NOTE: The data set c:\temp\class.sas7bdat has 19 observations and 5
> variables.
> NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time):
>       real time           0.04 seconds
>       cpu time            0.01 seconds
>
> I can even concatenate windows and unix SAS datasets.

Hope this helpful,

Dan

Daniel Nordlund
Bothell, WA USA