[R] perhaps regular expression bug with | sign ??

David.Epstein David.Epstein at warwick.ac.uk
Fri Apr 9 22:35:55 CEST 2010

Here is my interaction with R:
> sub(x='>|t|',pattern = '|t',replacement='zz')
[1] "zz>|t|"

So I say to myself "Clearly the | signs need to be escaped, so let's try
this"
> sub(x='>|t|',pattern = '\|t',replacement='zz')
[1] "zz>|t|"
Warning messages:
1: '\|' is an unrecognized escape in a character string
2: unrecognized escape removed from "\|t"
How can \| be an unrecognized escape? This flatly contradicts help('regex'),
or am I misunderstanding the help?

The first pattern above works if one uses extended=F.

What do R experts think?

David