[R] R CMD REMOVE etc. query

Prof. John C Nash nashjc at uottawa.ca
Thu Apr 15 16:17:46 CEST 2010

I've been working on a fairly complex package that is a wrapper for several optimization
routines. In this work, I've attempted to do the following:

- edit the package code   foo.R
- in a root terminal at the right directory location
	R CMD REMOVE foo
	R CMD INSTALL foo

However, I don't get the right code. In fact, if I just do the remove,

     library(foo)

does not throw an error. If I stop my R session and restart it, I do.

Is this expected behaviour?

For information, I run scripted tests that start with
    rm(list=ls())
    library(foo)

to ensure I'm getting "new" code each time.

If desired I can provide a minimal package to show this, but I expect that it is a known
issue for which I've missed the documentation. Perhaps there is a command to reset the
session. I did a brief search, but appropriate keywords pick up a lot of irrelevant material.

JN