[R] 2 simple question

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sat Apr 24 00:40:05 CEST 2010

On Apr 23, 2010, at 6:24 PM, David Winsemius wrote:

> On Apr 23, 2010, at 6:09 PM, tamas barjak wrote:
>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> But, I'm sorry, cannot be understood what I wrote...(I'm sorry, I
>> use a machine translation program)...
>>
>> Well:
>>
>> I share out onto 4 parts the graphical area:
>>
>> >layout(matrix(1:4,ncol=2, byrow=T))
>>
>> I would like to choose onto which I draw
>>
>> example:
>>
>> >plot(x, y, ...) <--- I would like 1 No. part of a screen
>>
>> >plot(z, u, ...) <--- I would like 2 No. part of a screen
>>
>> etc...
>>
>> Do you understand?
>
> I am not sure. The following code ican be cut and pasted and should
> leave experimenter's graphics devices in a similar state to that
> which they were in at the beginning:
>
> def.par <- par(no.readonly = TRUE) # save default, for resetting...
> layout(matrix(1:4,ncol=2, byrow=T))
> #I would like to choose onto which I draw
> plot(1,1)   # <--- I would like 1 No. part of a screen
> #anddoes plot in the upper left corner
> plot(1,1)   # <--- I would like 2 No. part of a screen
> # upper right corner
> par(def.par)    #- reset to default
> dev.off()
> #null device
>  #        1
> dev.new()

On further consideration of the first machine translation, I am
guessing that you really wanted the facilities offered by:

?split.screen
?screen   #same help page

That would let you choose which "screen" you wanted selected for
plotting. Run the examples on the help page. Those facilities should
not be mixed with layout().

--
David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT