[R] a question about 'read.table' with or without 'read.table'.(urgent)

karena dr.jzhou at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 06:32:08 CEST 2010

Hi, I've got a quite tricky question.
I have a txt file, named 'temp.txt', as the following:
snp1        snp2        snp3
AA           00           00
GG           GG           00
00           AA           00

I want to read the file into R.
1) when I use 'read.table' without 'header=T' option,
> temp <- read.table('temp.txt')
# I got
> temp
    V1   V2   V3
1 snp1 snp2 snp3
2   AA   00   00
3   GG   GG   00
4   00   AA   00

2) If I include the 'header=T' option,
> temp <- read.table('temp.txt', header=T, as.is=T)
# I got
> temp
  snp1 snp2 snp3
1   AA   00    0
2   GG   GG    0
3   00   AA    0

The difference is for 'snp3', we can see, in 1) the values for snp3 are all
'00', while in 2) the values are all '0'.     How can I keep the original
values for snp3 as '00', meanwhile get the 'headers' or say the colnames as
'snp1        snp2        snp3'?

thank you very much,

karena