[R] R reports

schuster mail at friedrich-schuster.de
Fri Aug 20 23:32:44 CEST 2010

Hi,

are you looking for something like SAS ODS?
 (The terms "4GL" and "declarative programming" are confusing)

With SAS ODS an output destination is opened at one place oft the program
(e.g. HTML or PDF or both), subsequent procedures then write output to the
destination(s).
The procedures don't have to know about ODS-Output or say what and where to
write to, the output is simply caught and written to the output (graphics,
tables, results etc.)

Finally the output destination is closed and all the collected output will be
written to file(s).

The principle is similar to the PDF ouptut with plot().

In my opinion the idea behind SAS ODS is quite nice. It is a fast way to get
output into different file formats. You  can get quick (an dirty) results or
apply different styles and formatting options (not always easy).

I have not (yet) seen something exactly comparable to this in R (doesn't mean
there is not a package for this). Other output options exist (as mentioned):
Sweave etc.

--
----
Friedrich Schuster