[R] Newbie - want to view code for a function

Bill.Venables at csiro.au Bill.Venables at csiro.au
Wed Dec 8 06:08:03 CET 2010

For a substantial calculation like this the algorithms will likely be in C or Fortran.

You will need to download the source for the stats package from CRAN (as a tar.gz file), expand it, and look at the source code in the appropriate sub-directories.

You can get a bit of a road map in R by

> find("ar.yw")
> methods("ar.yw")
> stats:::ar.yw.default
&c

but you can't see the underlying C or Fortran code, which is where the real action will be.

(Of course you might want to read the help information first and follow up on the references there.  Only in desperation, of course.)