[R] Can't install Sweave

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 14:54:39 CET 2010

On 11/12/2010 8:41 AM, Rainer Schuermann wrote:
>> Why do you think it wasn't installed? There is no package "Sweave".
>>
>> Sweave() is a function in package "utils", which you session info
>> indicates you have and is loaded.
>>
>> Care to tell us what you want to do with Sweave and why you think it
>> isn't working?
>
> Oops - this is embarrassing!
>
> I promise I have done a lot of research before I posted the question but I got the info wrong and didn't realize that it's a function, rather than a package...
>
> Sweave.sty is not in my latex folder, will take care of that right now (I thought an "installation" would be the right way to get that done!) and keep quiet if thinks work nicely after that.

You shouldn't do that.  It will work until Sweave.sty is updated, then
cause you hard-to-debug problems.

Use R utilities (e.g. tools::texi2dvi, or ones from a contributed
package) to run latex, and they will point to the current Sweave.sty.
If you put a copy of Sweave.sty into your latex installation, in a few
months you'll have an obsolete version, and things will just not work.

Duncan Murdoch