[R] hiding/protecting utility functions in .Rprofile

Chris Campbell clc559 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 16:56:12 CET 2010

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 13:19, Michael Friendly <friendly at yorku.ca> wrote:
> [Env: WinXp, R 2.9.2]
> In my .Rprofile, I define a number of utility functions I'd like to have
> available in my R session, but don't want them
> to be *normally* listed by ls(), or more importantly, saved if I save my
> session variables/functions.
>
> How can I do this?
>
> --
> Michael Friendly     Email: friendly AT yorku DOT ca Professor, Psychology
> Dept.
> York University      Voice: 416 736-5115 x66249 Fax: 416 736-5814
> 4700 Keele Street    http://www.math.yorku.ca/SCS/friendly.html
> Toronto, ONT  M3J 1P3 CANADA

My strategy for loading my own functions at startup is to keep my
functions in a separate file (not .Rprofile) that I source into its
own environment via .Rprofile.

My .Rprofile looks like this:
###
.diag <- new.env()
sys.source( "/path/to/sourcefile/functions_to_load.R", envir = .diag )
attach( .diag )
###

I can't claim credit for this; I put it together from other posts on
this mailing list, but I don't remember the source now.  And I cannot
speak to whether this is the "best" way, but it works fine for me.

Hope that helps.