[R] Reading large files

Matthew Dowle mdowle at mdowle.plus.com
Fri Feb 5 15:39:11 CET 2010

I agree with Jim.  The term "do analysis" is almost meaningless, the posting
guide makes reference to statements such as that. At least he tried to
define large, but inconsistenly (first of all 850MB, then changed to
10-20-15GB).

> Satish wrote: "at one time I will need to load say 15GB into R"

Assuming the user is always right then, here is some information :

R has been 64bit on unix for a very long time (over a decade).  64bit R is
also available for Win64.
It uses as much RAM you install on the box, e.g. 64GB.
Yes R users do that,  and they've been doing that for years and years.
The data.table package was mainly designed for 64bit,  although its a point
of consternation when people think thats all its useful for.
If you don't have the hardware, then you can rent the time on EC2. There are
tools and packages to make that easy e.g. pre-built images you can just use.
Look at the HPC task view. Search the archives. Don't miss Biocep at
http://biocep-distrib.r-forge.r-project.org/doc.html.

Albert Einstein said "A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids
it.".   So an option for you is to be wise and move to 64bit.

news:644e1f321002050513y242304der84b5674930b54698 at mail.gmail.com...