[R] dataframe question

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Mon Feb 8 03:50:36 CET 2010

On Feb 7, 2010, at 8:14 PM, David Winsemius wrote:

> On Feb 7, 2010, at 7:51 PM, Vadlamani, Satish {FLNA} wrote:
>
>> Folks:
>> Good day. Please see the code below. three_wk_out is a dataframe
>> with columns wk1 through wk209. I want to change the format of the
>> columns. I am trying the code below but it does not work.  I need
>> $week in the for loop interpreted as wk1, wk2, etc. Could you
>> please help? Thanks.
>> Satish
>>
>> R code below
>> week_list <- paste("wk",c(1:209),sep="")
>

> Or more "functionally":
>
> three_wk_out <- as.data.frame( lapply(three_wk_out, some_function) )

Or if you wanted to just change the particular columns that matched
the "wk" pattern:

idx <- grep("wk", names(three_wk_out))
three_wk_out[, idx ] <- apply( three_wk_out[, idx ], 2, as.numeric)

(I probably should have used apply( ___ , 2,  fn) in the prior effort
rather than coercing a list back to a dataframe.)