[R] Use of R in clinical trials

Peter Dalgaard P.Dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Thu Feb 18 15:37:29 CET 2010

Bill.Venables at csiro.au wrote:
> I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think Peter is being a bit harsh on SAS.
>
> I prefer Greg Snow's analogy (in the fortune collection): If SPSS (or

SAS) and R were vehicles, SPSS would be the bus, going on fixed routes
and efficiently carrying lots of people to standard places, whereas R is
the off-road 4WD SUV, complete with all sorts of kit including walking
boots, kayak on the top, &c. R will take you anywhere you want to go,
but it might take you longer to master it than the simple recipes for
data analysis typical of the 'bus' programs.

I wasn't really trying to be harsh. I think my friend actually said
something like "endearing mediocrity", and particularly the recruiting
aspect is not something to take lightly if you have a business to run.

Incidentally SAS is not quite as bus-like as SPSS - it does actually
allow you to take the driver's seat as long as you keep to the road. It
would be more like the pickup truck or delivery van: moves best in a
straight line, but will take you between most places you need to go.

I have

Stata as the mini SUV city car (like SAS but quicker round the corners)

Genstat as the Land Rover (a bit like R designed in the 60's, but still
running)

The F1 car would probably be Ox or Gauss or similar programs designed to
do one kind of thing very efficiently.

-pd