[R] Use of R in clinical trials

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Fri Feb 19 19:03:10 CET 2010

Gentlemen:

Thankyou for your comments. I know I promised not to respond, but I just
wanted to clarify something that Dieter mentioned below, not defend my
remarks.

I understand "validate code" per 21 CFR part 11 complance to mean that for
**ANY** code that is written, be it in SAS, R, VB, or whatever, that one
must undertake a rigorous process to demonstrate that the code has been
appropriately tested and documented, and that QC, history, traceability, and
change control processes are in place, and so forth (as per the reg). My
further understanding is that statistical "correctness" of the code is
actually not (much of, anyway) an issue. What is important is that the
documentation enables the code to be reproduced and used by other parties
(e.g. reviewers) so that they can test "correctness" with whatever means
they deem appropriate. So, again, as I understand it, there is no such thing
as SAS, R, STATA, EXCEL or whatever code being a priori "validated" or not.
The process must be undertaken for any corpus of code written in any
language that is part of any FDA submission.

So my point in my original remarks was only that to replace a body of
already validated code in **any** language with a different body of code --
even in the SAME languaage-- is a time-consuming and costly effort.

I hope this clarifies my remarks. Again, I appreciate the comments and would
again appreciate even more others more knowledgeable in these issues
correcting my misunderstandings or errors and adding further insight.

Cheers to all,

Bert Gunter
Genentech Nonclinical Statistics