[R] Fortune candidate! Re: new to R Project

spencerg spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Tue Feb 23 16:11:13 CET 2010

On 2/23/2010 5:07 AM, Cedrick Johnson wrote:
> library(rant)

I'm sorry:  I'm not familiar with the "rant" package.  I couldn't find
it on CRAN.
> I recall just over a year ago (Fall08) when I was new to the R
> language. I realize there's a steep curve in any language, especially
> with R and the multitudes of packages that exist.
>
> With that being said, I still took (still do) time out to read the
> manuals, the vignettes and perform some cursory research on what it is
> I am trying to accomplish before posting. 99.999% of the time I have
> found what I am looking for (and learned something else new along the
> way).
>
> It sounds to me (and I may be incorrect in my initial impression,
> correct me if I am wrong) that the OP has not the slightest idea of
> what he/she wants to do with the 'data' once it is there. I have over
> the course of my personal journey with R come to appreciate the
> posting guides of the various R lists. I also have a full appreciation
> for the vignettes and other associated documentation that has been
> assembled (my primary domain is in the fin/econometrics *with a dash
> of forecasting* packages) -- I am sure pkg maintainers aren't putting
> these together for their sanity.
>
> A little research and understanding what you are trying to accomplish
> will go a long way.

Agreed.  In this case, the original poster submitted virtually the same
question again with a different Subject.  That thread made it clear that
s/he wanted to connect from R to a database and generate reports.  S/he
somehow accessed the database but still had trouble generating reports
and questions that could be easily understood on this list.