[R] Accelerated failure time interpretation of coefficients

Dimitris Rizopoulos d.rizopoulos at erasmusmc.nl
Tue Feb 23 16:16:41 CET 2010

On 2/23/2010 3:37 PM, Philipp Rappold wrote:
> I have one more conceptual question though, it would be fantastic if
> someone could graciously help out:
>
> I am using an accelerated failure time model with time-varying
> covariates because I assume that my independent variables have a
> different impact on the chance for a failure at different points in
> lifetime. For example: High temperature has a different impact on
> failure in earlier years than in later years (for whatever reason). So
> far so good (hopefully).

well, if by 'chance for a failure' you mean the hazard, then you could
first graphically test that indeed you have a time-varying effect. This
you can do by first fitting a Cox model assuming time-independent effect
for temperature, and then use (transformations) of the scaled Schoenfeld
residuals that are implemented in cox.zph().

Note, that unless you're using the Weibull model (and its special the
exponential), then any other standard choice for a parametric AFT model
does not assume PH.

Now, if you need to go to time-varying effects, then you can do that
under both AFT and PH models. In the former including time-dependent
covariates is a bit more tricky you can find more information, e.g., in
Section 5.2 of Cox & Oakes (1984), Analysis of Survival Data, Chapman &
Hall. For the latter it is a bit more easier and you can have a look in
standard texts for survival analysis, e.g., Therneau & Grambsch (2000).
Modeling Survival Data: Extending the Cox Model, Springer.

I hope it helps.

Best,
Dimitris