[R] Help with simple bootstrap test

xonix hubert.rogers at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 19:28:03 CET 2010

Hi all
Forgive me, I'm a total R newbie, and this seems to be a straightforward
simple bootstrap problem, but after a whole day of trying to figure out how
to do it I'm ready to give up. Part of the problem is that every example and
every help page seems to be about doing something more far more complex.

I'm got a table with 40 columns and 750 rows. I sum all the values across
the whole table (and subsets of the columns). I want to bootstrap to get the
95% confidence intervals for that sum value.

result <- boot(table, <function>, 1000)
boot.ci (result, bca)

It seems to me that the 'function' is something to sum all the columns and
rows of the table (or a subset should I desire). I've tried writing 'sum'
for the function, but this gives me a huge figure which can't possibly be
right.

Thanks,