[R] Help with simple bootstrap test

Robert A LaBudde ral at lcfltd.com
Thu Feb 25 21:10:51 CET 2010

The boot() function in the 'boot' package expects to find a function
for the statistic with two arguments: The data object plus a row index object.

You don't indicate enough to see how you will be resampling. It you
sum all elements in your table, resampling would have to be one of:

1. A sample with replacement of rows, or
2. A sample with replacement of columns, or
3. A sample with replacement of elements in the whole table.

Assuming you want sampling with replacement of rows:

sumf<- function (x, i) { sum(x[i,]) }
result<- boot(mytable, sumf, 1000)
boot.ci(result, type='bca')

A simulation:

 > mytable<- matrix(rnorm(2000), ncol=20)
 > sum(mytable)
[1] -14.92842
 > sumf<- function(x,i) sum(x[i,])
 > require('boot')
 > b1<- boot(mytable, sumf, 1000)
 > boot.ci(b1, type='bca')
BOOTSTRAP CONFIDENCE INTERVAL CALCULATIONS
Based on 1000 bootstrap replicates

CALL :
boot.ci(boot.out = b1, type = "bca")

Intervals :
Level       BCa
95%   (-101.49,   85.20 )
Calculations and Intervals on Original Scale

Robert A. LaBudde, PhD, PAS, Dpl. ACAFS  e-mail: ral at lcfltd.com
Least Cost Formulations, Ltd.            URL: http://lcfltd.com/
824 Timberlake Drive                     Tel: 757-467-0954
Virginia Beach, VA 23464-3239            Fax: 757-467-2947

"Vere scire est per causas scire"