[R] two questions for R beginners

Clint Bowman clint at ecy.wa.gov
Thu Feb 25 20:02:50 CET 2010

I started using statistical software with the commercial product S+
when I obtained a new HP735 workstation.  We kept the S+ license
going for a number of years until I heard about R.  It was an easy
transition and because I have been proficient in fortran and perl,
the scripting came naturally--except for some syntax
similarities/differences between perl and R interacting with a
natural tendency towards dyslexia.

I especially like that I can slice and dice the data to ferret out
relationships e.g., concentration by hour of day, by month, by wind
speed, by wind direction--love those boxplots.

I also find that even the default settings produce some pretty
attractive plots that are useable in many settings--I've also
produced some pretty awful ones.

And the price always reminds me that I need to find every way
possible to contribute to the overall good--I've forgotten too much
of my fortran and C programming skills to contribute directly to
the R Project.

Clint

Clint Bowman			INTERNET:	clint at ecy.wa.gov
Air Quality Modeler		INTERNET:	clint at math.utah.edu
Department of Ecology		VOICE:		(360) 407-6815
PO Box 47600			FAX:		(360) 407-7534
Olympia, WA 98504-7600