[R] F77_CALL, F77_NAME definition

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Sun Jan 3 16:20:20 CET 2010

On 03/01/2010 9:43 AM, Barry Rowlingson wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 2:11 PM,  <rkevinburton at charter.net> wrote:
>> I give up. Maybe it is my search (Windows) but I cannot seem to find the definition of the F77_CALL or F77_NAME macros. Either there are too many matches or the search just doesn't find it. For example where is the source for:
>>
>> F77_CALL(dpotri)
>>
>> ?
>
>  I'm not sure what the Windows equivalent of 'grep -r F77_CALL .' is,
> but the developer who wrote lbfgsb.c left a blatant clue which popped
> up as the third match:
>
> ./appl/lbfgsb.c:#include <R_ext/RS.h> /* for F77_CALL */
>
> About three screenfulls later the actual definition itself appeared.
>
>  If you are going to do a lot of this on a windows box, get cygwin and
> learn to use the unix utilities in a cygwin bash shell!

I think it's better to use a reasonable text editor here; I used
Textpad.  I don't think there's anything too special about it, but it
does have "Search | Find in files", and I can list the file pattern
(obviously *.h for a macro definition), and the folder (R-devel/src on
my system), and then I only get six hits:  two definitions and 4 uses.
That's a lot better than 3 screenfuls.

You can also use the Windows search facility to find the file, but I
find it clunky, and rarely use it.  It does also make it easy to limit
the searches in the same way as the above, but it won't show the results
as nicely.

I'm sure you can do the same thing with grep, but I can never remember
the syntax to say to search only in *.h files, whereas with the GUI
searches it's easy.

Duncan Murdoch