[R] How to control spaces between axis, tick and label in xyplot or xYplot?

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sun Jan 10 16:42:54 CET 2010

On Jan 10, 2010, at 9:45 AM, willow1980 wrote:

> Dear R users,
> I encounter a problem regarding space control in xyplot. Basically,
> I want
> to control spaces between label, tick and axis. I remember there is a
> function called mgp in general plot. Is there a similar function for
> xyplot
> or xYplot?
> Below is my basic code:
> myplotkid<-xyplot(expected_offspringnumber~afr|
> decade,groups=SES,data1,
> auto.key=list(space="right"),layout=c(9,1),xlab="",ylab="Offspring
> number",
> aspect="fill",scales=list(x=list(draw=F)),strip=T)
> By the way, since there is no x-axis, I just want to control space
> parameters in y-axis. Does someone have any idea to fulfil this aim?

Had you included a dataset that was executable, this might have been
tested, but as it is I will only offer a hack that I have used in the
past with y-labels in xYplot. My memory is that there are about 3 line-
widths of space and that the y-labels are at the leftmost position by
default. I have in the past moved the labels to the right with
leading"\n"'s.

The help page for xyplot indicates that finer control of xlab and ylab
can be accomplished via methods described in the section regarding
main,  and there we find these ideas:

"Further named arguments are passed on to textGrob; this can include
arguments controlling positioning like just and rot as well as
graphical parameters such as col and font (see gpar for a full list)."

> Thank you very much for kind help!
> Best regards,
> Jianghua
> --