[R] left end or right end

Joris Meys jorismeys at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 14:45:29 CEST 2010

First of all, read the posting guide carefully :
Your question is far from clear. When you say that the lengths of P
and Q are different, you mean the length of the data or the difference
between start and end? That makes a world of difference.

Regarding the statistical test, that depends on what your data
represents. Is it possible for P to fall close to the left and the
right :
P    -------------------------
Q   ---------------------------
For example.

You should also specify which test you want to use. Then people on the
list will be able to tell you whether that is available in R. You can
off course construct your own test with the tools R provides, but
again, this requires a lot more information. Next to that, the list is
actually not intended for statistical advice, but for advice regarding
R code. Maybe somebody will join in with some statistical guidance,
but if you don't know what to do, you better consult a statistician at
your departement.

Cheers
Joris

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 1:53 PM, ravikumar sukumar
<ravikumarsukumar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
> I am a biologist. I have two sets of distance P(start1, end1) and Q(start2,
> end2).
> The distance will be like this.
> P         ------------------------
> Q  ----------------------------------------
>
> I want to know whether P falls closely to the right end or left  end of Q.
>  P and Q are of different lengths for each data point. There are more than
> 10000 pairs of P and Q.
> Is there any test or function in R to bring a statistically significant
> conclusion.
>
> Thanks for all,
> Suku

Joris Meys