[R] left end or right end

Matt Shotwell shotwelm at musc.edu
Thu Jul 1 14:48:21 CEST 2010

Suku,

It looks like you might want to consult with a [bio]statistician, but
I'm interested in what these distances represent. Can you give some
additional context for your problem? How were these distances collected?
Is it a collection of pairs of intervals, like this:

           P               Q
1)      (1.5, 1.8)      (1.2, 2.0)
2)      (1.4, 1.9)      (1.4, 2.3)
10000)  (start1, end1)  (start2, end2)

?

If so, is there a more specific test you're interested in? For instance,
whether the interval P overlaps with the start/stop position of interval
Q, or whether start1 == start2, or end1 == end2, or both? I can think of
a bootstrap test for hypotheses like this, and this is relatively easy
in R.

-Matt