[R] how to plot two histograms overlapped in the same plane coordinate

Mao Jianfeng jianfeng.mao at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 15:29:39 CEST 2010

Dear R-help listers,

I am new. I just want to get helps on how to plot two histograms
overlapped in the same plane coordinate. What I did is very ugly.
Could you please help me to improve it? I want to got a plot with semi-
transparent overlapping region. And, I want to know how to specify the
filled colors of the different histograms.

I also prefer other solutions other than ggplot2.

Many thanks to you.

What I have done:

library(ggplot2)

age<-c(rnorm(100, 1.5, 1), rnorm(100, 5, 1))
sex<-c(rep("F",100), rep("M", 100))
mydata<-cbind(age, sex)
mydata<-as.data.frame(mydata)
head(mydata)

qplot(age, data=mydata, geom="histogram", fill=sex, xlab="age",
ylab="count", alpha=I(0.5))

Best,

Mao J-F