[R] Dicretizing a normal distribution to predefined bands

stefano.m mariastefanova at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 13 15:58:43 CEST 2010

Dear useRs,

I am facing the following problem in R and hope you can help me. I want to
discretize a normal distribution to 4 predefined bands. The  bands are
1,2,10 and 20. In order to maintain the symmetric shape and the mean of the
density I need to cut off all negative values and the corresponding part on
the positive axis and allocate the mass taken away proportionally on the
remaining support. I tried the function discretize from the actuar package,
but I am not sure I properly define the step and range. I am sorry for the
maybe trivial question and thanks in advance for any help!
mary