[R] RODBC and Excel 2010 xlsx

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jul 13 16:13:59 CEST 2010

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010, Rodrigo Aluizio wrote:

> Hi List, just to know if the issue is only a problem of mine or if it is a
> general issue due to the new MS Office pack. I'm using R 2.11.1 32 bits in a

It's a Microsoft muddle, covered in the RODBC manual for the next
release.  Note that R-sig-db is the right list for questions about
RODBC, not R-help.

Simply, if you have MS Office 2007/2010 installed, you can only have
its ODBC drivers of the same architecture installed.  Nothing to do
with RODBC nor R, and something MS omits to mention on the download
page for the drivers.

Also, the ODBC data sources manager for x64 Windows tells you only
about 64-bit drivers and DSNs.  There is a different manager for
32-bit, but it is rather hidden ....

The simplest thing to do is to use 64-bit R.  I found this out the
other way round: I have 32-bit Office installed and could not install
the 64-bit ODBC drivers.

The pre-release of RODBC at
http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/R/RODBC_1.3-2.tar.gz
is only available as a source package, but you can unpack it and read
the updated manual.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk