[R] [R-pkgs] New package "list" for analyzing list surveyexperiments

Yves Rosseel Yves.Rosseel at UGent.be
Wed Jul 14 21:37:42 CEST 2010

On 07/13/2010 07:46 PM, Raubertas, Richard wrote:
> I agree that 'list' is a terrible package name, but only secondarily
> because it is a data type.  The primary problem is that it is so generic
>
> as to be almost totally uninformative about what the package does.
>
> For some reason package writers seem to prefer maximally uninformative
> names for their packages.  To take some examples of recently announced
> packages, can anyone guess what packages 'FDTH', 'rtv', or 'lavaan'
> do?  Why the aversion to informative names along the lines of
> 'Freq_dist_and_histogram', 'RandomTimeVariables', and
> 'Latent_Variable_Analysis', respectively?

As an author of a package with a maximally uninformative name (lavaan),
I like to believe that strange names can have strange attractions. After
all, you did notice the package, didn't you?

Yves Rosseel, UGent.