[R] RMySQL Load Error: package/namespace load failed for 'RMySQL'

neatgadgets neatgadgets at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 05:35:38 CEST 2010

Hi,

I am brand new to the world of R, so please bare with me while I goof my way
through a question.

I am attempting to trial using R with MySQL.

The MySQL server is on a Linux box and I am using the Windows (32bit XP)
version of R.

I have installed RMySQL successfully, however when I load it I get the
error:

Error : .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'RMySQL', details:
  call: fun(...)
  error: A MySQL Registry key was found but the folder C:\Program
Files\MySQL\MySQL Tools for 5.0\/. doesn't contain a bin or lib/opt folder.
That's where we need to find libmySQL.dll.
Error: package/namespace load failed for 'RMySQL'

Question 1: Does this mean MySQL has to be on the same machine?
Question 2: I just happen to have MySQL installed on this machine, and I
even have the file libmySQL.dll in a folder C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL
Tools for 5.0/ so I am unsure why this is an error
Question 3: Should I give up on windows before I get any further?