[R] Problem with invoking R from the command line (Windows Vista)

Camster c.szmaragd at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 21 18:55:00 CEST 2010

Dear all

I am running in a problem when trying to run R from Windows command line.
I am runnning Windows Vista, R-2.10.1.

I have a script I would like to run remotely from another program. As it did
not work, I thought I would test the script from the Windows command line
which highlighted a problem.
When I open the command line and type R at the prompt (or any other variant
(R CMD BATCH, Rgui.exe or Rterm.exe), I get the error message:
"'Rscript' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file."

if I move to the R directory (cd usr\R\R-2.10.1\bin), and try running the
script ( R < "myscript.R" --vanilla)
 it works fine.
I thought the problem may come from the environment variables (tried
specifying explicit location of R.exe), but this did not solve the problem.
I also re-install R but that did not help either.

I cannot think of anything else.
I have read the R installation and rwfaq notes, and look through the posts
but I cannot find any suggestion on how to fix the bug.

If anyone can suggest anything, that will be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Camille

PS: I am also running R on another machine (Windows XP) and I don't have a
similar problem!