[R] R CMD build wiped my computer

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Wed Jul 28 19:43:03 CEST 2010

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010, Jarrod Hadfield wrote:

> My main concern is that this could happen again and that the
> "bug" is not limited to R 2.9. I would think that an
> accidental carriage return at the end of a file name (even a
> temporary one) would be a reasonably common phenomenon (I'm
> surprised I hadn't done it before).

This is a well known attribute of buildsystems generally.
Inadvertent errors can cause local damage, and so the
recommendation to build in a 'chroot' or in a different
userid.  Ditto the initial speculation as to you building as
root (another common beginner mistake)

Malicious code can 'crawl out of a chroot' as well and wander
through a system, or evade checking tools so as to be able to
later emerge once in production, but this thread then goes
afield from R

-- Russ herrold