[R] [Rd] R CMD build wiped my computer

Ray Brownrigg Ray.Brownrigg at ecs.vuw.ac.nz
Thu Jul 29 00:20:47 CEST 2010

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On 28/07/2010 10:01 AM, Jarrod Hadfield wrote:
> > Hi Marc,
> >
> > Thanks for the info on recovery - most of it can pieced together from
> > backups but a quick, cheap and easy method of recovery would have been
> > nicer.
> >
> > My main concern is that this could happen again and that the "bug" is
> > not limited to R 2.9. I would think that an accidental carriage return
> > at the end of a file name (even a temporary one) would be a reasonably
> > common phenomenon (I'm surprised I hadn't done it before).
>
> If you can put together a recipe to reproduce the problem (or a less
> extreme version of R deleting files it shouldn't), we'll certainly fix
> it.  But so far all we've got are guesses about what might have gone
> wrong, and I don't think anyone has been able to reproduce the problem
> on current R.

Duncan:

It looks to me like it has already been fixed, if indeed that was the problem.  In
R-2.10.1, I tried to reproduce the problem (using RColorBrewer, since that was the
smallest package I have a local copy of), and the build produced this:
:
* removing junk files
* excluding invalid files from 'RColorBrewer'
Subdirectory 'R' contains invalid file names:
  residuals.MCMCglmm.R xyz
:
where the space shown between the "R" and the "xyz" was a newline character. [I didn't
dare try using a "~" :-)]

Ray Brownrigg