[R] Symbols in R

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Tue Jun 8 20:00:18 CEST 2010

Mount soapbox; begin rant {

... However I think it should be added that rarely does this work with more
than about a half dozen different symbols: a viewer of a graphic simply
cannot keep the distinctions straight -- or often even decode them. Using
color to distinguish groups is typically more effective (there is actual
research to justify this), but of course one then runs up against the
subjectivity of color perception: aside from the obvious (and fairly common)
red-green color blindness issue, there's also the problem that people
perceive different colors differently, making some look more prominent than
others, which may interfere with the decoding of the graphical features.

In general, in the age of Excel graphics, I would argue that the use of
point/line characteristics like shape, fill, and color that are decoded
through legends are much overused and frequently result in visual puzzles
and illusions, which is the opposite of what a good data graphic should do.

An often better approach is the use of small multiples -- trellis graphics
-- for which the lattice and ggplot packages provide excellent
functionality.

} end rant; dismount soapbox

Cheers,
Bert