[R] MANOVA proportion of variance explained

Michael Friendly friendly at yorku.ca
Wed Jun 16 16:11:05 CEST 2010

I think you are looking for a multivariate measure of association,
analogous to R^2 for a univariate linear model.  If so, there are
extensions of eta^2 from univariate ANOVAs for each of the multivariate
test statistics, e.g.,

for Pillai (-Bartlett) trace and Hotelling-Lawley trace and a given
effect tested on p response measures

eta2(Pillai) = Pillai / s
eta2(HLT) = HLT / (HLT+s)
where s = min(df_h, p)

Alternatively, you could look at the candisc package which, for an
s-dimensional effect, gives a breakdown of the variance reflected in
each dimension of the latents roots of HE^{-1}

--
Michael Friendly     Email: friendly AT yorku DOT ca
Professor, Psychology Dept.