[R] MANOVA proportion of variance explained

Sam Brown s_d_j_brown at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 21 03:11:16 CEST 2010

Hi Michael

Thank you very much for the intel regarding eta^2. It is pretty much the sort of thing that I am wanting.

Found a good paper regarding all this:

Estimating an Effect Size in One-Way Multivariate Analysis of Variance (MANOVA)
H. S. Steyn Jr; S. M. Ellisa
Multivariate Behavioral Research
2009 44: 1, 106 — 129
http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~db=all~content=a908623057~frm=titlelink

While the interpretation of univariate eta^2 is pretty intuitive, I'm still having a little bit of trouble getting my head around the exact interpretation of the statistic in the multivariate case. Will have to continue reading around!

Thanks again!

Sam