[R] Time in ggplot2

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Mon Jun 21 04:40:11 CEST 2010

That's a bit disingenuous, Hadley. There have been reports of problems with POSIXct and ggplot2 for at least six months, particularly with values that have no  time portion. You have promised a fix before, but l haven't seen it, so I convert to Date to work around the bug.

"Hadley Wickham" <hadley at rice.edu> wrote:

>Hi Ottar,
>
>It's impossible to tell what the problem is without a reproducible
>example (http://gist.github.com/270442)
>
>Hadley
>
>On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 4:38 PM, Ottar Kvindesland
><ottar.kvindesland at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have a problem that puzzles me a bit today. When loading off data from a
>> database and plotting using ggplot2, I wish to present data as a time series
>> with time of day. The code is text-book like as shown below:
>>
>> # Fetch data
>> con <- dbConnect(dbDriver("MySQL"), user="user", password = "pwd",
>> dbname="db")
>> data <- dbGetQuery(con, "select PU, DateTime from rep;")
>> data$time <- as.POSIXct(data$DateTime)
>> attach(data)
>>
>> # Plot Data
>> p <- ggplot(data, aes(x=time, colour=PU ) ) +
>> ylim( c(0, max(PU)) ) +
>> geom_line( aes(x=time, PU ) )

>> It starts plotting and terminates before anything is drawn on the canvas.
>> The error message on the terminal is:
>>
>> Error in seq.int(0, to - from, by) : 'to' must be finite
>>
>> The DateTime coloumn in MySQL is of type datetime Is it a bug or a feature?
>>

>> Thanks
>>
>> ottar

>--
>Assistant Professor / Dobelman Family Junior Chair
>Department of Statistics / Rice University
>http://had.co.nz/

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing