[R] Help installing R commander in Fedora 13...

Carlo Tambuatco oraclmaster at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 21:18:54 CEST 2010

I did a standard install of R on Fedora 13 using yum as root, which I
assumed installed both the base packages and the devel packages needed
to install R Commander (there weren't any optional packages listed on
the yum info page). My version of R is updated to the latest 2.11
version.

But, running

install.packages("Rcmdr", dependencies=TRUE) as root, within R
produces the following errors:

(Last few of a looooong list):

** building package indices ...
** testing if installed package can be loaded
Error : .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'tcltk', details:
 call: dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...)
 error: unable to load shared library '/usr/lib/R/library/tcltk/libs/
tcltk.so':
 /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1: undefined symbol: FT_Select_Size
Error : package 'tcltk' could not be loaded
ERROR: loading failed
* removing ‘/usr/lib/R/library/Rcmdr’

The downloaded packages are in
       ‘/tmp/RtmpDSqgk5/downloaded_packages’
Updating HTML index of packages in '.Library'
Warning messages:
1: In doTryCatch(return(expr), name, parentenv, handler) :
 unable to load shared library '/usr/lib/R/modules//R_X11.so':
 /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1: undefined symbol: FT_Select_Size
2: In install.packages("Rcmdr", dependencies = TRUE) :
 installation of package 'aplpack' had non-zero exit status
3: In install.packages("Rcmdr", dependencies = TRUE) :
 installation of package 'relimp' had non-zero exit status
4: In install.packages("Rcmdr", dependencies = TRUE) :
 installation of package 'rgl' had non-zero exit status
5: In install.packages("Rcmdr", dependencies = TRUE) :
 installation of package 'RODBC' had non-zero exit status
6: In install.packages("Rcmdr", dependencies = TRUE) :
 installation of package 'Rcmdr' had non-zero exit status

It seems I am missing some packages needed to compile and run R
Commander, but I can't figure out which. I did a standard install of R
from yum on Fedora 13, so I'm not sure which other packages I need.